Thursday, November 8, 2018

San Jose and World War I


100 years ago in the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, an armistice (or cessation of hostilities) was declared between the Allied Forces and Germany therefore ending "The Great War" or World War I.

In November 1919, U.S. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11th as the first commemoration of Armistice Day. November 11th became a federal holiday in the United States in 1938. In the aftermath of World War II and the Korean War, Armistice Day became Veterans Day.

San Jose St. put together an exhibit about San Jose and the World War I. San Jose was quite different back then. It was a farming community with a population of about 30.000/ In 2018,San Jose is in the middle of Silicon Valley and has a population of over a million:



A soldier's gas mask from World War I








3,111 men from Santa Clara County went into the military service during World War I. Each week, the San Jose Mercury Hearld would feature images if the young men from the county in their uniforms

San Jose St. did a wonderful job in this exhibit of World War I. I would like to thank my fellow veterans in serving this country. Also, in your busy weekend, please say a prayer for all those who have served our country.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Thank you so much for sharing. I am a granddaughter of a man I never met because he died after his involvement in WW1 as a soldier from Australia. I take my Armistice Day very seriously and will take the time to remember at 11am tomorrow, 11th November 2018. Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. That exhibit must have been amazing. I'm so thankful for the soldiers who served ... in the past and in the present.
    My Saturday Snapshot post features ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for sharing all of these interesting details and photos! I have not been to San Jose, but would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...timely! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh. That gas mask! Sends shivers. With Remembrance Day yesterday (11/11) this is timely. The kids and I were doing the groceries at 11am which wasn't the ideal spot to stop and "remember the fallen", but we did so anyway. In the cleaning aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating museum. Looking at history is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a timely piece. This looks a great exhibition #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.