Monday, March 18, 2019

Baseball is Back

Left Field at Oracle Park-Home of the San Francisco Giants
Did anyone realize that the Major Baseball League season is less than 48 hours away? The A's and Mariners will face off Wednesday morning at 5:35 am (Eastern)/2:35 am (Pacific) from Tokyo. I am lucky because I have two major league teams within a 40-minute BART ride (our subway) of my house (ok, 20 minutes for the Oakland A's and 40 minutes for the San Francisco Giants). Here are some things I saw walking around from both teams.

Starting off with the San Francisco Giants:

The Giants three World Series Trophies- 2010, 2014 and 2012
Barry Bonds 1993 NL MVP Award
Tim Lincecum's 2009 NL Cy Young Award (Best Pitcher)

1984, the Giants gave us "The Crazy Crab"-it was considered to be the "anti-mascot", people were encouraged to boo him. Anyway, it got worse as people would throw beer bottles, batteries and other vile stuff at him. The costume had to be reinforced with fiberglass for protection. Players from both teams would throw stuff from dugout whenever the crab would make an appearance. Thank goodness, the crab got his walking papers after one year.

Headed over to the other side of bay. The Oakland A's moved their cramped old offices from the Oakland Coliseum where they play to shiny new offices at Jack London Square. I had to visit there the other day and the lobby is nice:

The A's four World Series Trophies
The three Hall of Famers from the 70's

I used to own a doll like this when I was little

The Eck
The GOAT of Oakland-Rickey Henderson
The big three of the 2000's- Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder
I am a huge baseball fan and can't wait for the season to start.Hoping for another Bay Bridge series 30 years later (minus the earthquake)

The different jerseys that Oakland will wear in 2019.

25 comments:

  1. That's a big coke ad!! Enjoy the season and may your team win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! True story I like basketball, soccer and baseball more than football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use to always watch baseball when the boys were growing up...not so much anymore. Love the idea of baseball starting though because means Spring/Summer is really on the way. Best to your team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, my grandsons are all into sports & speaking of which my Shawn (grandson) is 11 yrs. old today! He's a catcher on his team and I'm told he's really good, and his brother he's a good batter & my granddaughter (that's my son's daughter) she's a great pitcher & she's been clocked at I think it was 41 mph. I'll have to check on that one, but she could get a scholarship on that one. Thanks for sharing all the great pics my friend! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball fans are a unique breed; loyal to a fault, addicted to statistics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great season I enjoyed the photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no understanding of baseball at all Patrick - great pics though. Maybe next week you could find some that are more Midlife focused to stay in keeping with our guidelines - we're going to be getting stricter as numbers are growing and places are small.
    Cheers and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never understood the draw of baseball. It seems to drag on forever. Now hockey, that's a sport I can get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baseball is such a big sport in the US isn't it Patrick? We have a league in Australia but a very small one. Sounds like you are excited to have the season starting again. Thanks for sharing at #MLSTL and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun. I've watched a lot of both of these teams back in the day. Need to do it again. In person that is.

    Thanks for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day, Patrick. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes that would be great to see the A's vs Giants World Series. I'm still bummed that I lost my yellow 1989 Bay Bridge series sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of baseball more than actual games which are often so boring. Ha! My WW Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't say I'm a big fan of baseball but do like checking out the memorabilia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to both stadiums. But I work across the street from Pac Bell/AT&T/Oracle whatever we're calling it these days ;). It's quite a space, both on the inside and walking around the perimeter.

    Thanks as always for joining our Wordless Wednesday this week 😺

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like fun. Baseball is not a huge sports in Portugal, so I kind of miss part of this excitement.
    Thank you for joining The Really Crafty Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great start to the season. Thanks for sharing these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking up at My Corner of the World!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, this place looks so cool. I would love to take a look around.

    Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at The Wednesday Link Up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your baseball culture. Enjoy your season & may your team come out on top. #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy the season! Thanks for joining #TriumphantTales.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoy and hope your team wins! I have never seen a baseball match other than on TV, but if I make it to America one day it is something I'd actually love to see live. In Australia we are big on what we call AFL Aussie Rules Football and Cricket. Thanks for sharing with #ABloggingGoodTime

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.