Monday, June 7, 2021

Oakland's Sausal Creek

 


I was in Oakland and decided to visit Dimond Park in the upper Fruitvale section of the city. I hadn't been there for years. I used to take my kids to Dimond Park when they were 10 and 11 and we would walk along Sausal Creek. 

Sausal Creek has been around forever. The Ohlone would harvest acorns, buckeyes and other food stuff from around the creek. It was also place that rainbow trout used to pass through. 

As settlers began to build and Oakland became larger, the creek became altered as people started to plant non-native plants and they could not be controlled. In the 1930's, the WPA channelized the creek in concrete and stabilized its banks. People wanted to fill the creek with concrete.

About 25 years ago, the Friends of Sausal Creek and decided to restore the creek to its nature state. They have planted native species and have cleaned up the creek from all the trash. They are trying to return the creek to its natural state and get rid of the concrete culverts.

They have done a beautiful job in restoring and it is a nice place to walk:











Sausal Creek is an amazing place that I am so glad that I was able to re-visit again. I am glad that it is being restored. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great park to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lovely walk nice post Patrick I alwyas enjoy your tours :-)

    Your new left handed screwdriver is on it's way it should reach you within ten days 👀 :-)

    Have a creektastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful and very peaceful. Thanks for linking up to #forhteloveofblog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like creeks - grew up in Tennessee with lots of creeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sound of a creek is just the most relaxing thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very tranquil. I haven't yet been there, but I should one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very peaceful place to take a walk. I'm glad it was restored to it's original beauty.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day, Patrick. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely place to visit. I could almost hear the trickling water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why did they line the creek bed with concrete? Was it a way to control erosion or flooding problems? Even if one or both of these was the situation, you would think they would've chosen a more natural alternative to preserve natures beauty. I'm glad to read they are revitalizing the area to the way things once were. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is magnificent. Shame if it goes

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a beautiful place, Patrick. I am glad that the creek was not filled in with concrete. A concrete stream is no fun!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hiw I miss going out to nature and the wild. Must be great to have a little hike here

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great news about the creek and I'm glad you got to be out and about. It's a lovely and serene place.

    I'm happy you chose to share your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that looks like an amazing escape! Thanks so much for linking up with #fortheloveofblog!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.