Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Say Hey: The Willie Mays Experience

 


Across the street from Oracle Park - Home of the San Francisco Giants is a pop-up called the Willie Mays Experience. It is dedicated to one of the baseball's greatest players- Willie Mays.  Mays came with the Giants when they moved to San Francisco in 1958 from New York and was already a star, he became a bigger star in San Francisco:





A ticket stub from Game 1 of the 1954 World Series in which Mays made his famous over the shoulder catch


The jersey's of the four teams that Mays played for clockwise from bottom right(New York Mets, Birmingham Barrons, New York Giants, San Francisco Giants)







And he has a statue outside of Oracle Park:


Mays is still alive and is 93 years old and still is affiliated with the Giants. This pop-up was really cool as it told his story as a player and as a human.


4 comments:

  1. I was once a baseball fan until I moved to Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous player and a great man overall. Off-topic: How do you feel about the A's situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post has inspired me to go see the NBLM. The federal government recently designated the museum America’s National Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. It's in Kansas City MO. A short drive for me, but I am sure very worth while. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, this would be a neat visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing man and a very talented player. Great shots.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Patrick. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.