Sunday, July 20, 2014

Football Books 2014

"The Pro Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Book"
I did this two years ago and what the heck, I might as well do it again. With the beginning of NFL training camps this week, I might as well share some the new football books I have added to my stable. Above is the Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary book. I like it because it has pics of a lot of artifacts from the game.

Here are some more:



"Bart Starr-America's Quarterback and the Rise of the National Football League"-2012 is a great as it goes into the man. We all know that Starr was a great player, but he is an even better human being.

"The Ten-Gallon War"-2012 is about the battle for Dallas between the AFL's Dallas Texans and the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. It is really good and it shows how the AFL and NFL operated during the first years of the war.


"A Few Seconds of Panic" is about a sportswriter (Stefan Fatsis) going to training camp with the Denver Broncos as a kicker. Fatsis really goes into what it takes to make it to the NFL. He does not focus one the stars but on the common players that people do not hear about.


"Slow Getting Up"-2013 is Nate Jackson's memoir of his six seasons in the NFL. He is a Bay Area kid and it really shows what the common player goes through in the NFL. A great read.


"The Super 70's"-2005 is an oral history of a great time in pro football-the 1970's. I first started to get into the game during this time. Love the interviews with the players and coaches of the era.

The next two are both related to 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only team to go undefeated:

"Perfection"-2012  is Bob Griese's memoir of that 1972 season. Really well written and tells a great inside story of that team.

"Undefeated"-2013 is based on interviews with both the players and the coaches. Another well-written book that tells the story of that team

"Broken Patterns"-1971 was written by Fran Tarkenton about the 1969 New York Giants and the total dysfunction of that team. Very good.

Finally, my newest:


"Martyball" -2012 by Marty Schottenheimer. Great book, written by one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.

There are some my newest additions to my NFL library, have you read any of them???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.