Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Guarding the Golden Gate-Fort Point


Fort Point was built between 1853 and 1861 as part of the defense for the San Francisco Bay. It's masonry work is considered some of the finest examples of work from that era and it architecture is consider some of finest of military architecture. It is located directly below the southern approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. When the bridge was being built, Fort Point was to be demolished but the Bridge's Chief Engineer Joseph Strauss redesigned the bridge to save the fort, saying "While the fort has no military value now, it remains nevertheless a fine example of the mason's art... It should be preserved and restored as a national monument.":

Fort Point
Some of the hallways in the Fort Point
Some of the brick work
The inside of the courtyard of Fort Point
From the roof of Fort Point
The lighthouse
And some of the weaponry:

Cannonballs
8 inch cannon
Rodman Cannon
Mini-cannon
The round. elevated platforms were for the cannons on top of Fort Point

Magazine Room

And they also have some things that show how life was at Fort Point:

A private's cap
Daily ration for a solider in 1864
Light House Keepers uniform
Hospital Steward Uniform
Officer's quarters

23 comments:

  1. This is great. I love historical exhibits.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/07/ww-how-to-take-perfect-photograph.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great old building, glad it was not torn down, I had not ever heard of it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it wasn't. It is a great place.

      Delete
  3. Amazing place! Architecture looks awesome. Thanks for sharing these nice photos. #WW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place. There is something in those walls.

      Delete
  4. Loved your interesting photos ;-)

    Have a tanfastic rest of week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I hope you have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  5. I did not know that the bridge had been redesigned to protect the Fort -- that's fabulous! It's a really cool building,
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that either.

      Fort Point is cool.

      Delete
  6. I've only been to San Francisco once. Sorry I missed this little exhibit. There's just so much to do there! Thanks for teaching me, Patrick. And thanks for linking up with Ketchup With Us. Hope to see you again on the 15th. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and you see me on the 15th.

      Delete
  7. Very cool place to visit. Not sure I would have wanted to have been a soldier there though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I am there, I was think and try to imagine what it was like to be stationed there 150 years ago. It is scary.

      Delete
  8. This looks like such an interesting place to visit! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      It is a very interesting place.

      Delete
  9. Cool pix! I love visiting historical sites. We have a fort in a nearby county on a lake, but it's not fancy like this. It's from the Revolutionary war, but it's really cool! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the visit.

    http://curiousasacathy.com/2014/07/ww-in-memory/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a very interesting place. I really hope to visit San Francisco someday! I love looking at interesting buildings and places with a real history!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Are you interested in military places? I have done 3 posts on some in NJ, with my favorite being Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook:

    New Jersey Memories: Military Places

    I have also have written on lighthouses!

    New Jersey Memories: Lighthouses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cool place. I love visiting historical sites <3 Thanks for joining us at FTAF!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.