Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Summer of Love and Haight


This is the last post on the 50th anniversary of "Summer of Love" in San Francisco. During the summer of 1967, young people from throughout the country flocked to San Francisco for the promise of a cultural, political, and social revolution. This exhibit  by the San Francisco Public Library goes into the archives of the library and documents the upheaval of the Summer of Love of 1967 both the good and bad:



From the "Hippy's Handbook"








Over the last few months I have learned a lot about the "Summer of Love" and how it impacted the San Francisco Bay Area and the results are to this day. It has been a wonderful learning experience.

3 comments:

  1. I was in college in Nashville during the summer of love. I was the girl-next-door who like somethings about the social revolution and didn't like others. Never wanted to be around drugs at all so I wouldn't have made much of a hippie. But some things were "groovy" baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,

    I was 6-years old, so there was no "Summer of Love" for me. Heck, I didn't about such things! The 60s were a wild era and one that will be forever immortalized in many people's minds as a groovy era. There was some groovy mewsic from the 60s but the free love mentality and drug use totally reckless. I do enjoy the flashback and am happy that I can fantasize about the fun parts of the 60s...like the crazy fashions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I would love to have been there, but invisible. I grew up during the 60's. Though I heard about it, a movement like that would have scared the living daylights out of me. I'm sure there are repercussions yet today.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.