Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Work of Ralph Chesse

 


Ralph Chesse was an artist whose work spanned almost all of the 20th century. Before 1950, mostly painted African-American figures recalling his boyhood in New Orleans. He also became a self-taught Marionettist. He carved puppets and enacted everything from Shakespeare to Marionette kits for kids. In 1953, he was asked to create a children's nature show and created The Wonderful World of Brother Buzz. That show became the longest running children's TV show in San Francisco history. It ran from 1953 to 1969:




A Marionette of the singer Tiny Tim







And the Brother Buzz crew:


Ralph Chesse continued to do art until he passed away at age 91. In my view, he was a true art genius. The San Francisco Public Library did a great job in telling his story.

4 comments:

  1. Tiny Tim! I remember that name. Art is truly amazing.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all, but the last one is my favorite.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous week, Patrick. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.