Monday, May 6, 2024

Yayoi Kusama at SFMOMA

 


Yayoi Kusama is a Japanese Contemporary artist who mainly works in sculpture and installation. I went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) to see Infinite Love, her first solo presentation in Northern California.

The exhibit is totally different than what I have ever seen. It is this weird but cool  universe of reflections and colors.  It is in two rooms, you are with six other people and the attendant puts you in a room and it doesn't look like much to the naked eye but then when you use your phone, the reflections and colors jump out at you. You are in each room for about two minutes  before the attendant opens the door and has you come out but the sensory of it is seared into the brain:


Room 1(it took me a minute to adjust):





Room 2:







This is one of her sculptures called "Aspiring to Pumpkin's Love":



Yayoi Kusama is a true artist and I had never heard of her before but I really think that her work is visionary and very immesive

18 comments:

  1. ...Yayoi Kusama is new to me and I thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her so much! We're getting an exhibition in Melbourne in Dec. I'll def be making my way there for it! Thanks for sharing with #Allseasons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow; that looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen those infinity rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen immersive Kusama exhibitions several a few times and they are quite a surreal experience!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How effective and colourful I wouldn't mind going to one of these exhibitions 👍
    Have a vividtastic week Patrick 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, I'd love to experience that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Takes me back to the 60's!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/05/last-stop-at-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is totally extraordinary, so wow and vibrant.
    Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 309. See you again next week https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, spectacular for 5 minutes. Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative and colourful artworks. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the colors. Room #2 reminds me of the lava lamps from back in the 70's. Fun memories. Thank you for introducing us to Yayoi!
    Take care and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great sculptures. I'd have to adjust too.
    Visiting today from ge.ner.ic Linky 31 #8,9&10

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, very creative and fun! I enjoyed all of them. Thank you for sharing at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #37.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Yayoi Kusama. Her artwork is always a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.