Monday, July 22, 2013

A Little Peek at Angel Island

Recently I had an amazing experience. I got in a kayak and paddled my little fat butt to Angel Island State Park from Sausalito. It is a three mile trip, but it was cool. I am waiting for a person to send me the pics of me paddling. I will share those.

But anyway, Angel Island is a great and beautiful place. It is the largest island in the San Francisco Bay. One side of the island was an Army Base from 1863
to 1947 when it was decommissioned it, then a Nike Missile Base was constructed there in the 50's and then decommissioned that in 1962. The other side of the island was considered "The Ellis Island" of the West Coast as it processed one million Asian immigrants between 1910 and 1940.

I was only the Army Base side and I really want to see the other side of the base. Sorry my pics are not great as I only had my IPHONE and the weather was really cloudy:

The view from where we were staying
The Captain's House
I guess this was a sign to get people to join for the Union cause during the Civil War
The old Army hosptial
The old church and schoolhouse
Deer
Deer grazing
This is where there was two five-inch wire-wound guns. They were removed in 1915.
The Golden Gate Bridge in the fog from Angel Island
"The Rock" in the foreground with the skyline of San Francisco behind it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed. I don't think I could have kayak-ed to Angel Island like that. What an amazing experience, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.