Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Life would be better if....

The other day I was at the grocery store and at the register paying for my items and a lady kept coming up and asking for price checks on different items. The checker each time stopped my order and did her price check. After about the sixth time, I said "Well, he is helping me right now" and she replied "I am more important than you". That line blew me away and got me thinking (which could be good or bad)about how times have changed.

I think it blew me away because I raised (and a lot of people in my generation) were raised on being courteous, helping other people and "Do as to others as you want done onto yourself." This woman seemed about my age and I guess as I was answering the daily quiz-o-gram on the scoreboard times have changed.

A little over 50 years ago a President said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Well, I think this has change to "Do what is good for me and screw the rest of you."

It used to be that people would uphold rules and such, but not any more. The man checking me out was the assistant manager of the store. I asked him "Why did you keep putting me on hold while you were helping me to deal with her?" He replied "Well, she might start yelling and raising a stink.", I said " Aren't you encouraging bad behavior in your store, by doing this." He said "Well, I have never thought of it like that."

I found that last statement-it was like "Wow", he is in management of a major national chain and I am telling him about customer service 101.

I see this all the time, I try to follow the arrows at the gas station and see people go every which way and get pissed with each other. One time I followed the arrows, pulled up and was getting gas and some guy started screaming at me. He had literally parked his car sideways and following his own rules and was pissed at people who were following the rules.

These are just two examples of how we need to be a little more courteous of each other and if we follow the rules we can make life a little better for everybody.

And yes, I try to lead by example with my two kids and they do not like me for it at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.