Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Look At St.Ignatius Church

The front of St.Ignatius on the campus of USF
If anybody knows me, then they know I like old churches. I don't why, but I do. St. Ignatius is one of the oldest in San Francisco and one of the largest. This actually, the fifth St.Ignatius built in San Francisco and this one was dedicated in 1914, meaning it is 100 years old this year. It serves the neighborhood and is the university chapel for the University of San Francisco.

I visited it in January and it was still decked out for the holiday season:

Inside
Part of the ceiling
Part of the dome from the inside
The main alter
Some of the many stained glass windows
Some of the art work-All of it is amazing
The church is so large that it has some little chapels inside:

St. Joseph's Chapel-Blessed in 1924
The St. Alphonsus Rodriguez Chapel
And as I walking out, I almost missed this on the side of the church:

Out Lady of Lourdes Grotto
St. Ignatius is a beautiful church. It is great on the campus of USF.

6 comments:

  1. That is a GORGEOUS church! Thanks for sharing pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SI is gorgeous. i go to mass here every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I have never been to mass there. I want to go.

      Delete
  3. It's absolutely breathtaking! Truly beautiful, I can see why you love old churches. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.