Friday, February 21, 2014

The Work of Lee Susman


I was at the Oakland A's Fan Fest (I should blog about that-oops) a couple of weeks ago and they had a display of the great work of former Oakland Tribune cartoonist Lee Susman. Susman who passed away two years ago, was cartoonist who depicted local college and pro football teams, baseball teams and basketball teams appeared in the Tribune from 1946 until his retirement in 1983.
In addition to his popular newspaper drawings, Susman designed the logos for the Oakland Oaks and Sacramento Solons of the Pacific Coast League as well as the Oakland Oaks of the American Basketball Association. These are some of his baseball cartoons:

When the A's moved to Oakland in 1968
1950 Oakland Oaks
When Billy Martin was hired as A's manager in 1980
The rarest Oakalnd Oaks decal from the 1940's
When the Tokyo Giants visited the Oaks
1950 and 1951 Oakland Oaks scorebooks
1946 standings that ran in the Oakland Trib
Some of the Oaks players from the 1940's
An original panel from the 1940's
Another panel from the 1940's
From 1948
1948 San Francisco Seals vs. the Oaks on Casey Stengel day. Panel from 1968
An ad featuring Lee Susman for the Oakland Trib
It was really cool seeing his work. His likes are missed in the sports pages.

6 comments:

  1. Susman was very talented. Great stuff. Thank you for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday, Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for coming by. You are so welcome. I remember seeing his work as a kid.

      Delete
  2. Do you know anyone who might want to but some of his work? He gave me 3 of his drawings back in 2009 and told me to sell them one day after he was long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoh can contact me at vincitore97401@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d like to buy a cartoon. TedGriggs87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much are his pieces worth? I have one but can't find a date on it either. Can anyone give me any info or input? I am interested in selling it.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.