Thursday, March 26, 2020

SF By The Bay: Science Fiction From the Bay Area


Two weeks ago, I went to the San Francisco Main Library right before they closed for COVID-19. I needed to get some books to hunker down with. They had a small exhibit up called SF by the Bay:Science Fiction and Fantasy in the Bay Area. It was to celebrate the sceince fiction and fantasy writers that lived and worked in the San Francisco Bay Area.I was amazed that so many science fiction and fantasy writers were from or were living in the San Francisco Bay Area when they were wrting their stuff:

Anthony Boucher and J.Francis McComas

Algis Budrys
Frank Herbert


Paul Anderson

Jack Finney

Ambrose Bierce

Sam Moskowitz



George Lucas

But the coolest was some of the orginal storyboarding by conceptual designer and illustrator Ralph McQuarrie for George Lucas' little movie:




I am glad I saw this exhibiton before the library was closed.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting the SF was (and is?) such a fertile ground for science fiction. I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these giving me all the 70's vibes...
    sad all the libraries are closed :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited San Francisco in January and have been on a quest to read more books connected to the Bay Area. DUNE is on my TBR list. Dropping by from Traffic Jam Weekend #227...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cool! I am glad you were able to stock on some fun reading material.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this on Traffic Jam Weekend! It has been chosen as a fave feature for this week's party that went live on Thursday at 5:00 pm CST.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.