Sunday, March 3, 2013

Birthplace of the Beats-City Lights Bookstore

The front of City Lights Bookstore
City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco has been a North Beach staple since 1953. It was founded by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Peter Martin (Martin left in 1955) it has been a place to find books on world literature, the arts and progressive politics. It is also a publishing house. City Lights publishing was the group that published  Allen Ginsburg famous book "Howl and Other Poems". Even though the years have passed, City Lights remains at the forefront of the counterculture and is now a San Francisco historic landmark:

People looking for a book at City Lights
The third floor Poetry Room
Three floors of books
Every time I am at City Lights I feel the need to sit on this bench and browse a book
Some of the featured titles-I bought the Amistad book
Even though I am not a poet I still sit in this chair while browsing a book
Some of the more unique titles at City Lights
One of the many great signs at City Lights
City Lights is one of those places that you can feel history.

2 comments:

  1. Found you on Doing Well Blog Hop. I am a new follower. Excited about seeing all your pictures!

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to that bookstore! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.