Friday, May 24, 2019

Memorial Day 2019


Recently, I went over to The Presidio in San Francisco. The Presidio was an Army Base and a fortified location from September 17, 1776 when New Spain established it until it was transferred to the National Park Service on October 1, 1994 after 218 of years of service.

The Korea and Vietnam memorials:





And the two chapels:

The old post chapel was built in 1864 and has been modernized a couple of times
The Presidio Chapel built in 1931.
But mainly I went to pay my respects at the San Francisco National Cemetery. The San Francisco National Cemetery is located at the Presidio. It is not to be confused with the Golden Gate National Cemetery which is located about 10 miles away in San Bruno. The San Francisco National Cemetery was established in 1884:






The Golden Gate National Cemetery has all the famous names but the San Francisco National Cemetery has 35 Medal of Honor recipients buried there. Here are two of them:



And the San Francisco National Cemetery has one special grave to me. Even though he was absent in my life from when I was three until I was 26 and we sort of talked the last four years of his life, I still love my father and proud that he severed his country:


I know many think this weekend is about grilling and hanging out. Please say prayer for all the servicemen and servicewomen who have and are serving this country and protecting us.

12 comments:

  1. There is so much to do in San Francisco, amazing. I love this post and may do the same here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother lived in Presidio Heights for some time, but he never talked about the Army base. Probably never visited there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great reminder of the true reason for Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memorial for those that paid the ultimate price. Thanks for the post and the information, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice that you were reconciled with your father. I know you take great pride in how he served his country. I am thankful for all of the veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Memorial Day and yes, thank you for the reminder of it's real purpose. Most of my family were in the military too and some are in those cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...thanks for sharing you lovely Memorial Day post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a poignant set of photos x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always find it quite chilling to see so many graves of people who served in conflicts. What a fitting time to visit your father's grave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's important to remember the real reason behind the holiday. In the UK we have Remembrance day which is kind of the equivalent, but it's not a holiday. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming from Sun Snap and saw Ness' summary of your post - San Francisco is about 3 1/2 hours from where I live! Happen to live in an area with all vets around us. What a great tribute to them in your post! Sorry, am a week late, but not meant any less sincerely!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.