Monday, February 18, 2013

A Look at Evans Diamond-Home of Cal Baseball

The entrance to Evans Diamond-home of Cal baseball
The sign on the Jackie Jensen pressbox
Evans Diamond is one of my favorite places to watch a baseball game. It has great sight lines and no matter where you are sitting you have a great seat. It seats 2,500 The one bad thing that it is old-built in 1933 and is no longer deemed up to standards to hold NCAA Tournament games-such as 2011 when Cal had to host the Super Regional at Santa Clara. Help is on the way as lights will be installed and the first night game will be held March 28th of this year and will be able to host large TV crews so games can be televised from there. One strange thing about Evans is that its orientation has the catcher and batter facing southwest into the mid-afternoon sun, the usual orientation of a baseball diamond is east-southeast. Even though it is old, it is still a great place to watch a game and my favorite college baseball stadium:

A view of the field from behind home plate
From the third base line
The only scoreboard in right center-they will be getting a modern one by March 28th. The wall is the backside of Edwards Stadium-Home of Cal track and soccer
The view from the first base side
Another quirky thing about Evans Diamond is the big building along the third base side  is the back of Haas Pavilion -Home of Cal basketball and volleyball. A lot of foul balls hit off it.
Evans Diamond may not the be the most modern place to watch a college baseball game, but it is great. It takes you back in time before college sports became a staple on TV and money got in the way. It is a great way to spent a sun-splashed afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I love nostalgia...brings back such great childhood memories! Thanks for sharing! SN: I'm so excited about the college baseball season...hopefully our USC Gamecocks will get us our third championship in four years and NOT choke in the championship game like they did last year, lol!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I love college baseball. I am so lucky that we have six D-I teams (Cal, Stanford, San Jose St, USF, Santa Clara and St.Mary's) that play within an hour's drive of me.

    Don't know if USC gets in the CWS I can root for them. I root for Cal firsgt, then the Bay Area teams, then the PAC-12, then the West Coast.

    But Good Luck to the Gamecocks.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.