Monday, August 5, 2013

Coit Tower

Coit Tower



I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all of my life and I have never been to Coit Tower. Coit Tower is one of the most famous landmarks in San Francisco. It was built in 1933 with money provided by Lillian Coit who was a socialite who liked to chase fires. You could say that she was a firefighter groupie and was a honorary firefighter. After her death, one-third of her fortune was "to be expended in an appropriate manner for the purpose of adding beauty to the city I have loved."

As I said I had never been there until my son wanted to go. So we went:

To get there, there is about 274 steps one must travel
A view of the Bay and the Bay Bridge from the steps
The Steps
Coit Tower from the base
It has murals inside it. The murals where done in when the place was built. It was part of New Deal Project-Public Works Art Project:



And great views of San Francisco:



Love the rooftop tennis courts
Coit Tower was cool and I am glad that I finally dragged my fat butt up there.

1 comment:

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.