Thursday, September 13, 2012

Taking the Long View


When I was over at Fort Mason a while ago, I saw this museum called The Long Now and decided to take a look. It was free and looked interesting. I got a little more than I bargained for. Ok, I am going to try to get this right here. Long Now is a project to develop a 10,000 year clock that is powered by mechanical energy and sunlight and will be installed in an underground facility in West Texas. That is the basics. This is something that I am learning about and making no judgements about. It is interesting to say the least:

The Orrery

Above is what is called The Orrery, it is an eight-foot tall planetary display and shows the relative position of the six planets that can been seen with the naked eye.It is made of monel (a nickel-copper alloy) and stainless steel.

A Solar Synchronizer

This is a prototype of the Solar Synchronizer for the 10,000 year clock.This will help keep the clock keep accurate time for 10,000 years.

An Atmos Clock
A small scale of the clock.
The stuff at Long Now is different and the future. It is very interesting and very much nothing that I really want to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.