Monday, November 5, 2012

Model Airplanes by the Master-Edward Chavez

One of Edward Chavez's models
I was at San Francisco Airport (SFO)  recently and they had an exhibit of model planes. At the time, I thought that it was a major airport and duh.I thought they were nice-looking and took some pics. I found that that these models were built by Edward Chavez (1917-2004) and he was considered a recognized master within the aircraft model world. In 1961, the Nut Tree Restaurant commissioned their first Chavez model after one of their owners had seen his work at the National Air and Space Museum. Chavez built 27 models for the Nut Tree Restaurant over 27 years and they closed in 1996. SFO acquired the majority of the Nut Tree collection:







As I said before, I thought that they were nice-looking models. Now, I am glad that saw them as I was looking at model airplanes done by the Picasso of the industry. If you want to see them, it is a continuous exhibit (which rotates) in Terminal 3 at the San Francisco Airport.

2 comments:

  1. My uncle loved to model planes. My dad has a picture of Eddie as an early teen with a model biplane he made. I don't get down to sfo very often but when I do I always will look for uncle Eddies models. I remember making a side trip to the Nut Tree just to see them there.....nice to see them on the web. Thanks. Marc Chavez Eddie's nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle loved to model planes. My dad has a picture of Eddie as an early teen with a model biplane he made. I don't get down to sfo very often but when I do I always will look for uncle Eddies models. I remember making a side trip to the Nut Tree just to see them there.....nice to see them on the web. Thanks. Marc Chavez Eddie's nephew.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.